Makes approximately 15 x 200gram jars/containers
- 2 Cups of white sugar
- 2 Cups of brown sugar
- 1 cup of sea salt
- 3/4 cup- 1 cup of ground coffee (depending on how strong you want it)
- 1/2 cup of cacao nibs
- 3-4 tablespoons of jojoba oil
- 3-4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 3-4 tablespoons of sweet almond oil (to avoid allergies you can just use more of the other oils)
- 6-8 drops of Essential or fragrant oil of your choice (use essential oils if you are wanting natural ingredients) if you want to avoid an allergic reaction first do a patch test with one drop diluted with 5mls of one of the oils mentioned above.
NOTE: You may want to add less oil and add more as you go to get desired consistency depending on how oily you want the scrub to be, its really personal preference however if it is too dry it may be too coarse on the skin
1. Mix the sugars and salt together in a large mixing bowl
2. Use a mortar and pestle and gently crush the cacao nibs so they are not too coarse/sharp otherwise use a blender to gently crush. Then add to them bowl with the other dry ingredients
3. At this step you can add the coffee, I ended up reserving half of the mix into another bowl to do a variation without the coffee beans (this is optional) otherwise just add the full desired amount of coffee to the large mixing bowl with the other dry ingredients
4. Mix all ingredients together
5. Add the oils slowly, adding a couple of tablespoons at a time and mixing until you accomplish the desired consistency
6. Now add your essential or frangrant oils and mix through thoroughly, I did two different flavours – One Choc/Coffee and the other batch that I made I did a Jaffa flavour (Choc/orange) I also added some natural colouring to give it an orange look.
Gently spoon into jars/containers, using the back of the spoon to press down to ensure the scrub is packed tightly. Place lid on top and use within 6- 9 months.
Packaging options: The ones I have used were sourced from www.newdirections.com.au and cost $2.04 per container (including the lid and Caska seal) I also purchased the oils from here as they sell them in bulk containers for a lot cheaper than supermarkets.
Alternatively you can use plastic coffee pouches/bags which is a lot more cost effective and you can get them online for around .45cents each
NOTES: please be aware that sometimes depending on how much oil is used in the scrub this can make bathtubs/showers slippery.