LOW-CARB TUNA & VEGETABLE LASAGNE
Serves approximately 6
Prep time: approx. 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR TUNA PASTA SAUCE:
(I use organic ingredients where available)
- Teaspoon of olive oil
- 425gram Canned Tuna
- 800 grams of diced tomatoes (alternatively 2x 400 grams of tinned tomatoes)
- 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 medium sized brown onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic- crushed
- 2 large handfuls of fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon of mixed dried herbs
- Salt and Pepper
- 200 grams of ricotta (optional)
- Lasagne sheets (optional, alternatively you can use the eggplant and zucchini as a substitute or include both)
- 1 large Eggplant- thinly sliced into circles
- 1 large Zucchini- thinly sliced lengthways
- Approx. 100 grams of sundried tomatoes
- Basil leaves for garnishing
- A small handful of grated cheese to garnish
- Additional olive oil
Preheat oven to 180° fan-forced.
Step 1: In a saucepan heat olive oil on medium heat, then add garlic, onion and sautee until soft, then add the tuna, tomatoes, tomato paste, mixed herbs and fresh basil, lower heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 2: In a separate pan on medium heat, add a little olive oil and then add batches of zucchini and eggplant, lightly salting them as they cook, watching them closely and turning when they are browned before setting aside.
Step 3: In a rectangle baking dish begin by adding the tuna pasta sauce to the bottom, then add one layer of the roast vegetables, the sundried tomatoes and the ricotta if using. Then repeat this process. If you are using the pasta sheets you can alternate between layers of the vegetables. I try to only use around 3-4 sheets in the whole meal if at all.
Finish the top layer off with some fresh basil leaves and a light sprinkle of cheese if you like.
Place in the oven for approximately 35-40 minutes, remove and allow to cool before serving.