Makes approx. 10-12 patties
(use organic where available)
- 500 grams of organic Chicken Mince
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 egg
- 1 medium size brown onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3cm piece of fresh ginger
- 1 large handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 large handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp of tamari
- 1 slice of Bread for making bread crumbs (Alternatively use Coconut Flour or gluten free bread if gluten free)
- Wholemeal flour for rolling patties (Alternatively use Coconut Flour if gluten free)
- Coconut Oil for Cooking
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Chilli flakes (optional)
NOTE: If you do not have a food processor you can use a blender for steps 2 and 3 and for step 4 you can simply just blend the mixture using a wooden spoon, your patties will just be a little more chunky and have more texture which you may even prefer.
1. In a medium size saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil on low heat, finely chop the onion and garlic and gently sautee until onion is clear, then remove from heat.
2. In a food processor blitz the slice of bread if using until it resembles bread crumbs,set aside.
3. Then place the herbs in food processor and blitz until finely chopped
4. Add the onion & garlic, chicken mince, egg, grated carrot, tamari, salt and chilli flakes (if using) and mix on a medium speed until well blended. Remove from food processor into a bowl. The mixture will most likely be quite sticky, you will need to gradually add the bread crumbs or coconut flour until the mixture is a little less sticky in order for you to form into patties using your hands. You don’t want to over do it with the bread crumbs/coconut flour though, otherwise it will be dry.
5. Using the same medium size pan, add enough coconut oil to cover the bottom of the pan and heat on medium.
6. Form the patties and then lightly roll into the flour or coconut flour
7. Cook each pattie for approximately 2-3 minutes each side
Coconut & Chilli Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of plain coconut yoghurt
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of crushed chilli or minced chilli paste
Mix all ingredients together until blended !
Serve the patties in lettuce cups with the coconut chilli sauce, and your favourite burger toppings like grilled pineapple & beetroot!