Gluten Free, Vegan
Makes approx. 550 grams of granola
(I use organic where available)
2 cups of oats (gluten free)
1 cup of shredded coconut
1 cup of coarsely chopped raw almonds
¾ cup of dried cranberries
¼ cup of coconut oil
¼ cup of maple syrup (use less if desired)
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or vanilla powder
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
A pinch of Himalayan salt
1. Preheat oven to 170 ˚c (fan forced)
2. Mix all dry ingredients (oats, coconut, seeds, nuts, cinnamon & salt) into a large mixing bowl, leaving the cranberries aside to be added at step 5.
3. Mix the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl then pour over the dry ingredients, mix together using your hands or a large spoon.
4. Pour the granola mixture from the bowl into a large, flat, non-stick baking tray (using baking paper to line the tray if not using non-stick) making sure the granola mixture is evenly distributed across the tray.
5. Place in the oven, and set timer for 5 minutes. The entire process will take 20-25 minutes to cook, however you will need to gently toss the granola every 5 minutes then place back in oven and reset the timer to ensure it does not burn and is evenly browned. After the granola has been in the oven for 15 minutes, add the cranberries for the last 5-10 remaining minutes. The reason I add the cranberries at a later stage is because they can easily burn and become bitter if over-done
6. Once cooking process is complete and the granola is crunchy and browned remove from oven and allow to cool
7. Serve with fruit and yoghurt or coconut yoghurt